Sunday, September 12, 2010

Confessions

I do my best to lead a Maximized life, but there are times when even THE Domestic Goddess herself breaks down.  (That Domestic Goddess thing was slightly sarcastic).  Between working two jobs, going to the gym and yoga, family events, and maintaining a relationship and some kind of a social life, sitting down to an elaborately prepared meal three times a day isn't always realistic.  In fact, it's quite common that I eat breakfast in the car.  I sometimes even eat dinner in bed while responding to e-mails on my laptop.  Horrifying.  :) 
Anyways, I thought I would share my fave snacks for on-the-go Maximized eating.  All are either store-bought, or can be quickly and easily prepared at home or at the office.  And all are Advanced Plan friendly unless otherwise noted!  Let me know what your favourite healthy snacks are!

Kaia Fruit Leather
  • These are easy and delicious and come in fun and interesting flavours - think Lime Ginger, Goji Orange, Vanilla Pear, Spiced Apple, and more! Most are not okay for Advanced Plan eaters though, as the fruits used are too high in sugar.  If you're a Core Plan eater... stock up, these won't last long in your pantry!
 GoRaw Flax Snax
  • These are SO addictive.  And they're raw too, which is kinda cool.  My mom and I found them months ago when we were in the states, both on the Advanced Plan, and both ravenous.  We found a health food store and stocked up on these little gems - totally saved the day.  They're now in Calgary - find them at Community Natural Foods.  They make really good "cookies" too, but if you're Advanced Plan eating, the cookies are  a no-go because of the use of dates. 

Kaia Kale Chips or homemade kale chips

  • SO good! Satisfies that potato chip craving.  They come in all sorts of neat flavours just like chips- Sea Salt & Vinegar is delish, but I like the original flavour best.  Not cheap to buy at Community, so make your own if you can.  I posted an easy recipe on our South Trail Chiropractic Facebook page under 'Notes.'  Check it out! 

Lara Bars
  • Oh Lara Bars, how I love you.  These come is several flavours (my all time favourite is key lime) and most only have three ingredients: cashews, dates, and coconut.  Pretty delish.  Again, dates are not ok for Advaned Plan though.  If you're feeling extra wonderful, you can make these yourself -  just use a food processor to blend all ingredients.  

Hard Boiled Eggs
  • Sounds like a no-brainer, but these literally saved my life on my first week of the Advanced Plan.  So easy to grab and go for breakfast or for extra protein on top of a salad.  A little S&P and you've got yourself a perfect snack.  I boil about 10 eggs on Sunday and keep them in my fridge and I'm ready for the week. 

 Sliced Apples with Almond Butter
  • Granny Smiths are ok for Advaned Plan!  And switch up your butters too - try cashew, macadamia nut or walnut butters. Sprinkle with hemp hearts for extra goodness. 


Nutty Protein Bars
  • A classic.  Make a double batch, individually wrap, freeze and you've got amazing snacks all week long.  Also great because they satisfy those afternoon sweet cravings. 

Coconut Chips
  • I love these.  The brand I buy is called Wilderness Family Naturals.  If you think you don't like the flavour of coconut, I urge you to try these.  The natural nutty flavour of coconut is far different from the over-sweetened, artificial flavour we are so used to.  You might be surprised to find out you do like coconut after all! 


Half an Avocado with Lime and S&P
  • Sounds like another no-brainer, but oh-so-good!  Love the lime juice for an added kick; a great afternoon snack.

Zevia
  • The one bad food that I actually sometimes miss is root beer. Kind of weird, I know.  I think it's just a childhood memory thing.  I can't remember the last time I had root beer, or pop at all for that matter, but I stumbled across sugar-free stevia-sweetened root beer the other day and could not resist trying it.  It's called Zevia, and it comes in several other flavours as well.  It's strange though, it has zero sugar and nothing artificial, yet it tastes almost exactly the same as that good old-fashioned root beer I remember.  Almost too good to be true it seems, but fun for a treat or special occassions.   
Protein Shakes
  • Blend some protein powder with almond butter, frozen blueberries and almond milk and you've got a lovely little snack.  We sell some good protein powder at the office; I like the vanilla.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment